Oral care is important for overall health, as our mouth brings not only all the essential nutrition but also germs and bacteria. This is because if an infection is present in our mouth, the same can be carried to other body parts through our bloodstream and can lead to other issues such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, pneumonia, and the health of pregnant women.
Maintaining good oral health requires brushing, flossing, protecting teeth and gums, and many more. A thorough oral examination is also essential to detect the early signs of gum diseases and treat them equally. Dentists believe that by performing oral care of our teeth, we can prevent oral health problems such as cavities, gum disease, bad breath, and many others.
Keeping Your Teeth Clean Daily
Dentists recommend cleaning teeth twice a day, and cleaning teeth at night is of utmost importance as it prevents tartar buildup and cavities, which further helps in protecting the tooth enamel. Dentists emphasize the methodology of brushing our teeth and advise us to touch them softly and adequately to avoid damaging the teeth and gums. This is because brushing the teeth harshly can wear down the enamel, making them more prone to cavities.
Other than brushing, flossing is essential to the daily oral hygiene routine. Flossing once daily is vital to clean up the stored food between your teeth. Dentists might recommend a fluoridated mouthwash to clean your mouth and kill bacteria, reducing the risk of developing cavities.
Protecting Your Teeth
Practicing good oral hygiene is crucial to maintaining and protecting oral health; however, protecting our teeth and gums from injury and damage is as important.
Additionally, below mentioned are some of the ways to protect your teeth:
- Smoking is a well-known cause of gum diseases as it increases plaque; hence, quitting smoking is recommended, and advisable
- Opening packets or any other thing with your teeth can be dangerous in the long run as this leads to a high chance of a broken tooth
- For people who are into sports, it is advised to use a well-fitted mouthguard at the time of playing
- Rinsing your mouth after every meal is an excellent way to protect your teeth and gums from cavities, and for people who brush after every meal, it is a good idea to wait for at least 30 minutes before brushing
- Visit a dentist once in six months to get a complete dental check-up, and do not use any At-home tooth whitening kits as they can damage the teeth
- Plaque can also build up on your tongue, which can cause bad breath or a foul odor, hence gently cleaning your tongue every time you brush is a good approach
Monitoring and tracking oral health will help us keep our gum healthy and good overall health. It is better to look for and find the right dentists and dental team. This may seem challenging at the onset and especially for people who have dental fears. Therefore, booking an appointment with the dentist you are comfortable with is essential.
Disclaimer: This blog has been written after performing in-depth secondary research related to the topic from various articles, blogs, and journals that have expertise in writing for healthcare. Suppose you see any issues related to your teeth, gums, and jaws; we strictly advise you to seek medical consultation.