Getting your oral health regularly checked is one of the most important steps that you should be taking to keep your teeth and gums away from infections and other dental problems. However, the knowledge required to choose the correct dentist for yourself is even more important. There are many people who find it quite a task to visit a dentist as they are afraid of minor pain, discomfort and side effects. Nonetheless, it is important to keep in mind that your oral health is as important as your overall physical health and any problem with your oral health can cause cardiovascular issues as well. Hence, along with ensuring regular visits, you should also make sure that you select the right dentist.
Tips to select the right dentist
- Seek referrals: You can seek the help of your friends, family members and colleagues to inquire about the best available dentist in your area. You can also start making a list of dentists that suit your needs. After this, take your time to call each one of them and ask your queries. You can narrow down the list as per your experience on the call and ask for a consultation.
- Research the credentials of the dentist: You should confirm that the dentist has proper board certification as it helps ensure that the dentist has taken the necessary training and has all the required skills. Along with this, you should also see if the dentist has any history of malpractice. Most of this information is available on the Internet and can be confirmed on different websites.
- Consider the experience of the doctor: Oral health requires extreme caution and dedicated skills to provide the right treatment to the patient. If your dentist is more experienced, he will be able to produce better results. If you feel anxious or scared of visiting a dentist, you go for an online consultation, make yourself comfortable, and learn about his behavior. An experienced dentist will immediately make you feel comfortable in his presence and will offer a warm and welcoming environment.
- Keep the gender of the dentist in mind: If you don’t feel comfortable sharing information with a dentist of the opposite gender, make sure that you select a dentist of the same gender as yourself. Although most dentists are experienced in diagnosing and treating patients of both genders but some of them do have their preferences. Hence, you can ask your dentist if they have any particular experience in treating patients of a specific gender.
- Look for the reviews of the patients: You can get to know a lot about the credibility of a particular dentist by checking out the reviews of previous patients. These verified reviews can easily be found on the internet. With the help of these reviews, you can also get to know about the behavior, skill and availability of the dentist. These reviews also provide important information regarding the appointment schedules, wait times, the behavior of the staff, etc.
- Location and availability: If the dentist stays near your place, you will feel more comfortable visiting his clinic. It will also help you get appointments easily. Along with this, make sure that the dentist is available when you are free and is ready to take up emergency cases.
- Tools and technologies: Dental care has changed a lot with advancements in technology and with the coming up of new tools and equipment. These modern machines help the dentist to provide the highest quality of care, keeping in mind the interests and needs of each individual. Hence, you must choose a clinic that has the latest dental tools and technologies.
Qualities of a good dentist
More than the experience, skill and knowledge, patients love the behavior, comfort, and soft attitude of dentists. A good dentist must have below-given qualities:
- Someone who listens to your concerns: Along with technical skills, the listening skills of a dentist are equally important. Your dentist should listen and understand all your queries and not be in a rush to see the next patient.
- Someone who educates you: You have to rely on the knowledge and experience of your dentist to seek proper guidance with respect to oral health. A good dentist will not only treat your condition but will also provide you with essential information needed to keep yourself safe from dental issues.
- Takes time to know you: If your dentist understands you well, he will be able to provide better treatment. You too will feel more welcome and comfortable in his presence.
- Tries to build long-term relationships: Getting a dental checkup is not a one-time thing and you might have to visit your dentist regularly for different reasons. Hence, it becomes essential that your dentist builds a long-term relationship with you.
Choosing the right dentist is not an easy decision and proper research should be done before finalizing one. Your dentist is someone who will not only treat you but may also see your family members and therefore, it is crucial that you choose the right dentist.
This blog has been written after performing in-depth secondary research related to the topic from various articles, blogs, and journals with expertise in writing for healthcare. The content on this page should not be considered a substitute for medical expertise.